Thursday, September 4, 2008

Ganapati Bappa Moriya!! - Part II

Major apologies. I completely forgot to mention in the last post why the whole Ganesha angle. Well I did give all the "new beginning" mumbo-jumbo, but there was something more than that which got my rusty thought processes running again.

It's quite obvious looking at the date of this post, that today was basically one day after Ganesh Chaturthi of circa 2008. So here I was sitting at home, catching some classic Tim Burton "Batman Returns" on Zee Studio, when the faint sounds of drums beating wafted into my ears. While that immediately didn't prompt me to divert too much of my attention from the movie that I was engrossed in, in the next few minutes I couldn't help being moved by the thunderous impressiveness of the sound. As I made my way to my window to get a glimpse of the source of the noise, I saw a motley crew of people from one of the building societies nearby taking their Ganesha immersion procession towards its watery destination. After much encouragement from my mother, I went downstairs to get a more direct look at the fantastic show that was on.

The scene can be so described - a typical procession in honour of an Indian deity, adorned by groups of people walking/dancing/jumping in various states of pomp and revelry to the raucous but extremely catchy beats of a bunch of drummers. Yes the drummers, the ones meant to provide the background for a bunch of girls & boys to flaunt their dancing skills, they are the ones who caught my eye.

The music that they were producing could put any world famous rock band's best composition or its live rendition to shame. While the main driver of the mesmerising performance was its spontaneity, the talent of the individuals belting out the beats was unquestionably phenomenal. And in this resounding cacophony of the most pleasant kind I managed to find a few ounces of inspiration. That's what I like about the festive season, even in all the gloom that may surround your life you can still feel like there is something yet to be happy about.

Fear not that which saddens you to tears...
Fear only that you don't lose the space within you to find happiness....

No comments: